From time to time I find myself looking for an answer to what may be called a “knowledge coordination question”. For example:
It may sound strange, but the most companies I’ve worked in didn’t address this problem in any way. So, the following are just my thoughts – or, my plan, since I am going to try and implement this solution.
A good solution for this problem is a centralized repository for different types of knowledge. Wiki seems to be a good platform for implementing “company-wide knowledge bank”. It is easy to create a separate page for each knowledge area, the most important being:
- Does my company have a vector drawing tool?
- Do we have a Java library which implements SFTP protocol?
- Had anyone implemented already a JSP tag, which generates a date picker tied to our database?
It may sound strange, but the most companies I’ve worked in didn’t address this problem in any way. So, the following are just my thoughts – or, my plan, since I am going to try and implement this solution.
A good solution for this problem is a centralized repository for different types of knowledge. Wiki seems to be a good platform for implementing “company-wide knowledge bank”. It is easy to create a separate page for each knowledge area, the most important being:
- Existing software – to catalog the tools which are currently used by the company;
- Libraries – to catalog currently used libraries;
- Reusable components – to track different in-house developed components, which are intended for reuse.
Comments